Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Chocolate seems to win them over pretty well.


I have developed a small following at the SC building on campus. Each Monday afternoon, the Grapevine has Fun on Campus (F.O.C. for short). We play games and hand out Free Brownies to any students at either the SC building or the SI building. Even though most of the students speak decent English, they hesitate to begin conversation with a native English speaker. A few weeks ago I started taking the tray along with me to meet students, and initiate some friendships. They're still shy, but last Monday, as soon as I picked up the pan and started to walk around, a loud cheer arose from a group three tables away. They'd been waiting for at least 30 minutes for me to get up. Maybe in a few more weeks they'll actually come to our table, but until then, I don't mind the cheering crowds.

No comments: