Monday, April 16, 2007


Teacher Pook at the AUA Songkran Festival

I have anticipated the Songkran New Year's Festival ever since I first started studying about Thailand. It is one of the most exciting holidays of the year. The celebrations include many activities including games, visits to the temples, a ceremony with water, and water fights. My first taste of the festivities took place at my language school where my teachers comically recounted the events of a family's Songkran Holiday. Several of my teachers performed Thai dances and even did a show Thai boxing match.



Students at the Festival


Teachers Performing Traditional Thai Dance

Of course, the school festival only began the interesting experiences I had during this year's Songkran. On Friday, one of my students invited me to join her on a trip to visit "The 9 Wats." The Thai believe they will have special luck if they visit all 9 of the most important temples in Bangkok in one day. So we set out to conquer the task, and the heat, crowds, and starvation finally conqured us. We made it to 5 of the 9 before we called it quits. We still had plans to make it to Khao San road for the city wide water fight. Just picture the road so full of people and water and squirt guns that you can hardly move. Imagine your clothes soaked through as the sun starts setting and you actually begin to shiver. Imagine hundreds of people smearing white paste on your face and telling you "Happy New Year!" It's amazing and fun and very exhausting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buy facebook likes
get facebook likes

http://www.modmomsclub.com/content/make-treats-little-less-sweet http://www.crowdedhouse.com/news/vote-best-crowded-house-live
buy facebook likes buy facebook likes get facebook likes
Okay..I'm totally a newb at this and I don't really know much about what's going on in my computer, but one day I was playig sims 2 and my computer shut down and restarted, and so I didn't really make a big deal out of it until it kept happening. Then yesterday my comp started being extremely slow. I thought I had some type of virus so I tried doing a virus scan, and while waiting for that to finish I installed mAlwarebytes and got it installed but for some reason it didn't run. So I installed adwarebot and did a scan and it showed me over 500 infected files and I removed them all. Then I tried turning off the automatic restarting thing, then suddenly I got the BSOD, saying I had the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. And I have no idea what that means, and basically I haven't been able to find out what the problem was because whenever I try to do I virus scan I can't succesfully finish it wihout my comp restarting randomly.

get facebook likes buy facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]facebook likes [/url] facebook likes